Saturday, November 14, 2009

Mayo Shrimp

I’ve had this dish at many Chinese restaurants (and I love it!) but have never thought about making it. If it wasn’t because of my baby brother who recently made this dish and posted the yummy pictures and the recipe on his blog, I would have never made it. At least not so soon. I’m SO PROUD of him to be able to cook such yummy dish even though he’s technically not a baby anymore but he’s still my precious little brother who’s 5 years younger than me. Ahh…it still felt like yesterday when I held my new born baby brother in my arms….and that was a little more than 20 years ago!! It’s funny how we both never really cooked when in Malaysia and here in the US, we’ve learnt to cook, bake and experiment with different stuff. Mummy and daddy will surely be proud of our cooking ability now!! =)
Back to the food…. I think this dish goes by many different names at various restaurants…but the dish is the same. The most common name is Mayo Shrimp. I’ve also heard of Salad Shrimp and my brother has a longer name for it “Shrimp with Sweet Creamy Sauce”. In some Chinese restaurants, they even add candied walnut to the shrimp “salad”, thus making it “Honey Walnut Shrimp”.
Here’s the recipe of the Mayo Shrimp my brother found online to which I made some changes to the sauce part. My brother told me that the sauce was too sweet and suggested to reduce the condensed milk. Since I was only making 1/2 Lb of shrimp, I modified the sauce to accommodate to the amount of shrimp I have. 
CreamyShrimp
MAYO SHRIMP RECIPE
Ingredients:
Part A (Fried Shrimp):
  • 1/2 Lb Shrimp, Peeled & Deveined
  • 1 Large Egg White
  • 1/4 Cup Corn Flour
  • 1/8 Tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/8 Tsp Salt
  • 1/3 Cup + 1 Tsp Oil
Part B (Sauce):
  • 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
  • 1-1/2 Tbsp Condensed Milk
  • 2 Tsp Lemon Juice
Method:
Mix egg white, corn flour, baking soda, salt and 1 tsp oil in a bowl until you get a smooth paste. Pat dry the shrimp and mix them into the paste/batter. Make sure shrimp is well coated with the batter.
Heat 1/3 cup oil in a small pan over medium heat and slowly drop the nicely coated shrimp one at a time into the hot oil. You do want to make sure the oil is at least 1/2” deep. Add more oil if your pan is bigger. Do not overcrowd the pan with the shrimp. Fry the first side of the shrimp until it’s golden brown before flipping them over to fry the second side. This shouldn’t take too long as the shrimp cooks very quickly.
While the shrimp is cooking, prepare the sauce part by mixing Part B in a bowl until well combined. Set it aside. Remove fried shrimp, drain oil and place them in a bowl. Pour sauce over the shrimp and coat well before transferring onto a serving platter. Serve immediately with some white rice. You could also place the sauce on the side instead of coating the shrimp in them!

June's Notes: If you like coconut, check out my current favorite version of Mayo Shrimp here.

[Signature[3].png]

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you have to use corn flour? or can you substitute with regular flour?

thanks!!

Simply June said...

i've not tried to substitue with corn flour, so I'm not sure what the texture will be like.. sorry!

Amy (NYC) said...

I used all purpose flour and an extra egg white - still good!!

Simply June said...

yay! =) thanks for the feedback

Unknown said...

That looks Yummy and totally easy...Thanks for sharing my fiance and i love the mayo shrimp at our chinese restaurant.

Unknown said...

Thanks for Sharing! My fiance and I love the mayo shrimp at our chinese restaurant that we go to.

Simply June said...

Thanks, Megan! Give this version a try too (if you like coconut) : http://simply-june.blogspot.com/2010/06/shrimp-mayo-ii.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails